Friday, January 21, 2011

Make Up Kit Essentials: Building a Fabulous Make Up Kit *Part Two: The Very Basics

Now that you have cleaned out you current kit I am going to start with what I believe are the absolute make up essentials to have in your kit. These items are for a simple, fresh look and excellent for people who don't want to spend very much money on their kit or time applying make up. The most basic kit I feel contains 6 items; a pressed powder foundation, a highlighter, mascara and 3 brushes (one for foundation, one for highlight and a brow comb). Allow me to explain...

  1. Pressed Powder Foundation
Pressed Powder Foundations provide a light to medium coverage. They are excellent if you have generally good skin and just want to even out and liven up your face. Since it is a powder it is most easily applied with a brush (when I want more coverage I will use my finger tip as well).

Here are some powder foundations I would suggest:
     2. Highlight

Highlight is used to create a glow and emphasize areas on the face that are high points (where the bones protrude forward). Think of areas of the face that the sun naturally hits and light reflects. My favourite places to highlight are the cheekbones. Highlighting the cheekbones can act as a mini face-lift and make you appear more awake and alert.

Here are some highlight products I would suggest:
Note: For cooler skin tones (pink undertones) use a highlight that also has a cool undertone. For warmer skintones (tan/yellow/oranger undertones) use a highlight that has a gold undertone for the best, most natural results.

     3. Mascara

I have one suggestion. Maybelline's Great Lash Mascara. It is the number one selling mascara, it was the first mascara ever made and it is sold for under ten dollars (I saw it at Wal-Mart for just under $5.00). This is the mascara I always suggest but I encourage to find one that you like best... just try this one first!

     4. (also 5. & 6.)

A powder brush, an angled highlight brush and a brow comb. Start with inexpensive brushes to learn how to use them but be sure to invest in a good set of brushes later on. High quality brushes make a huge difference in your application results. They are generally softer (nicer for your face), longer lasting and less likely to shed.

These products are an excellent starting point for a make up kit. Go out an test the products I suggested as well as other brands to find what you like best. Before you buy take the time to test different products; see how long they stay on, feel the texture, see how well it compliments your skin. Remember you are now making an investment on you appearance, you want to make sure to find what best showcases your beauty.

Now go and start shopping! Please post comments and suggestions about great products you find!


Did you find this post helpful? Questions, comments, feedback? I would love to hear them! Please comment or email me for more specific questions at karleigh.johnstone@gmail.com, or find me on facebook (Karleigh Johnstone, I am the only one).

1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice, Karleigh! Thanks! :)

    So I always start with my Almay Clear Complexion liquid foundation. I've been seeing dermatologists for my acne. The one I went to in Mississauga told me I had to start using oil-free make up, and this was on his list.
    Following your advice I follow it up with the MAC Studio Fix, which is probably the best powder I've ever used!
    For a highlight I was looking at the Iridescent Powder Loose that you recommended. But, as I said, I have to be careful with make up that could contain oil, so I checked out the MAC website where I found their chat live with a MAC makeup artist feature. The girl I got matched up with was super helpful. I even got a code to use towards free shipping on my next online purchase. Unfortunately, it didn't end up working so I went in store. They showed me the Iridescent Powder Loose and it had a bit more sparkle to it than I was looking for, so I spoke to one of the artists and ended up walking out with the Mineralize Skinfinish.
    Then I hit up Wal Mart where I nabbed your recommended mascara for $4. ;)
    Finally - my brushes. I was a little squeamish about paying more for a brush at MAC than I was for my pressed powder, but I desperately wanted a MAC brush. So I hit up eBay where I managed to score a brand new eleven piece MAC brush set for $36, whereas a single brush in store was going to cost me $41.

    Annnnd there's my feedback for this post. Thanks again for all the wicked advice, girl! :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete