Monday, November 22, 2010

The Right Red Lipstick

Many ladies I know tell me they want to wear red lip stick but feel that they cannot "pull it off". My answer is one: wear lip stick with confidence, it is a statement to make when you wear lip stick (wear it loud wear it proud). Two: choose the right red that best suits you. Here are some pointers on finding the right red.

The most important thing is finding a red that compliments your skin tone. If you have a cool skin tone (pinker undertones) then choosing a red with a cool undertone is best (more of a blueish red). If you have a warmer skin tone (more golden or orangeish undertones) choose a lip stick with a warmer undertone (even a browner tone of red).

If you are very very fair my suggestion is to stain the lips instead of having a fresh coat of lip stick (you can create a stain by putting on a coat of lip stick and blotting it off, do this a number of times to create a deep colour). If you have darker skin tones I would suggest to do the same. By staining the lips instead of having a bold fresh coat of lip stick, it will soften the look creating a less shocking effect.

For skin tones that are not super fair, or deliciously deep I suggest a strongly liner lip with a punchy red. Make sure to have a matching lip liner, that is very sharp and line the lips, then fill with the lip stick. Blot once to create a lasting stain, then reapply the lip stick for a fresh look.

Also, I enjoy a deep red for fair and darker skin tones. The combination of a dark deep red and staining the lips can be very seductive to light and dark skin tones. For skin tones in between I enjoy a bright punchy red, making the focus on those luscious lips.

The last piece of advice I would give on wearing red lip stick is to make that the "loudest" part of the make up application. Although it is possible to combine a smokey eye with a red lip, I would suggest to down play the eyes and create focus on the lips. I will usually wear minimal make up on the eyes and cheeks (for example just a winged eyeliner, thicker mascara light contour and blush with a little more emphasis on the highlight). By down playing parts of the other area on the face while still bringing them out (the heavy mascara and highlight) it will make the red lip stick stand out, while also subtly bringing out the rest of the face, creating a flawlessly beautiful face.

Questions, comments, feedback? I would love to hear it. Feel free to post a comment or for more specific question feel free to email me at karleigh@karleighjohnstone.com or find me on facebook (Karleigh Johnstone, I am the only one).

No comments:

Post a Comment